The basic requirements to be eligible to obtain a real estate license in Kansas are:
You are at least 18 years of age.
You have a high school diploma or equivalent.
You have NOT been convicted of certain felonies within a specific timeframe.
Complete a 30-hour Principles of Real Estate course from an accredited school and receive a completion certificate. This certificate is valid for 12 months and allows you to take the State Exam.
Pass each of two sections of the State Exam. You will receive a completion report for each part of the exam. (These two reports are each valid for six months from the date you pass that section.)
Submit to a KBI/FBI criminal background check. (Your background check is valid for six months.)
Complete a 30-hour Practice Course from an accredited school and receive a completion certificate. (The Practice Course certificate is valid for 6 months.)
Affiliate with a real estate broker.
Home-Study PLUS – $195
- Attend a two-day live classroom presentation (click here for schedule).
- Receive textbook and course materials the day of class and review materials with the instructor and through online Diagnostic Tests to be taken at the end of each Unit in the textbook (link will be emailed to you).
- Complete a two-part, open-book online exam and score at least 90% on each section. If your score is not 90%, you will get additional attempts to retake the exam.
- Once you’ve achieved a 90% score, fill out the information for your certificate online and print. Your education certificate is valid for 12 months, which means you must pass the State Exam within 12 months.
Enroll in a Principles of Real Estate Course
Online: Go to KANSASPORTAL.RAMCOAMS.NET and follow instructions to enroll as a non-member.
By Phone: Call 800-366-0069, ext. 2129 or ext. 2131.
The cancellation fee is 20% of the registration fee. No refunds or transfers will be granted once the course has begun or materials have been picked up.
The Kansas Association of REALTORS® will give you, along with your Certificate, a Candidate Handbook containing information on scheduling the State Exam and exam procedures. Or you can download the guide here.
You must pass the State Exam within 12 months of the date on your education certificate.
- Make an appointment with Pearson VUE to take the State Exam, at a cost of $82.
- Pass the timed and closed-book exam with a score of at least 70% on each section (State and National) of the two-part exam.
- Once you pass either the State or the National section of the exam, a certificate will be issued for that portion of the exam.
- If you passed both sections of the State Exam your certificates are valid for six months. If you passed only one section of the State Exam you must pass the other section and complete the application process before the first certificate expires. If you don’t complete your application process within this six-month time frame you will need to begin the process again.
We will furnish you with the finger-printing/background kit, you may request a kit from KREC, or you may pick one up at the PearsonVue testing center when you take the State Exam. Your criminal background check will be valid for six months.
30-Hour Practice Course – Home study format – $135*
*Plus a $10 shipping/handling fee
- Receive a course book and a link to the online exam.
- Complete an open book, online exam. You need to achieve a score of at least 90% to pass.
- Once you pass the exam (achieve a score of at least 90%), fill out the information for your certificate and print. A copy of this Practice Course certificate must be sent to KREC as part of your application. The certificate is valid for six months.
To Purchase a 30-Hour Practice Course
Online: Go to KANSASPORTAL.RAMCOAMS.NET and follow non-member instructions to purchase a product (you will not be registering for a class*).
*Under Professional Development Services, click on KAR Store – REALTOR® items, homestudies and more! In the right column, click on Practice Course Homestudy.
The cancellation fee is 20% of the registration fee. No refunds or transfers will be granted once the course has begun or materials have been picked up or shipped.
By Phone: 800-366-0069, ext. 2129 or ext. 2131.
- After you pass the State Exam you must *affiliate with a Broker and apply for your license with the KREC within six months of passing the exam (before any of your certificates expire).
- Send the following to KREC:
- Education Certificate you are issued when you complete the Principles of Real Estate course
- Two forms PearsonVue will give you when you pass the two sections of the State Exam
- Copy of your Practice Course certificate
- Submit your KBI/FBI criminal background check (if not already submitted) along with the application fee ($15), and your license fee, payable to KREC. Your license fee is $125 and will be pro-rated at the time of application dependent upon where you fall in the renewal cycle.
Kansas requires that you work under the umbrella of a broker for a minimum of two years. You can proceed with all steps prior to submitting your application, but you will need to be affiliated before you can actually apply for your license.
If you don’t already have a broker in mind, we suggest you call three to five brokers in your area and set an appointment to interview for possible affiliation. Here are suggested questions to ask in an interview.