There is a connection between politics, regulation, laws and your business. Here are answers to common questions about advocacy.

Q. Why are we involved in politics?

A. Your success is our success. The Kansas Association of REALTORS® works at all levels of government to keep your business safe and strong. We have the expertise and access to affect change and protect private property rights.

We have a Governmental Affairs committee made up of members across the state. Members help to funnel issues from local communities to KAR if an issue needs resolution at the statehouse in Topeka.

Q. What is advocacy and what does KAR advocate for?

A. KAR’s Governmental Affairs department advocates before the Kansas Legislature and the Kansas Real Estate Commission to fight for laws and regulations that strengthen the housing market and protect buyers and sellers. We also actively work to defeat legislation that is harmful to your business and the real estate industry. See 2024 KAR Legislative Priorities here. 

Q. What legislation are we tracking?

A. KAR monitors legislation relating to business and real estate taxes, contract law, land use, real estate licensing, housing affordability, distressed properties and foreclosures and property development. For a more detailed listing, click here.

Q. What is RPAC and when I donate – where do my RPAC dollars go?

A. The purpose of RPAC is simple: We donate RPAC funds to support candidates and elected officials who share our values on issues significant to the real estate market – promoting homeownership, pursuing sustainable development opportunities and protecting private property rights.

Q. How can I get involved?

A. We encourage you to be active in our political process at the local level and even at the state level. To join our political action committee or learn more, contact Mark Tomb at (800) 366-0069 ext. 807

Q. What is KAR’s relationship to the Kansas Real Estate Commission (KREC)?

A. KAR is a non-profit, industry trade association not related to KREC. They represent the real estate practitioners across Kansas. KREC is a state government agency that oversees licensing. For example mandatory CE is a KREC requirement in order to maintain your real estate license.

KAR advocates before KREC for licensing laws and requirements that are beneficial to REALTORS®.

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support